Monday, February 14, 2011

The Word

Read the Bible. We’re told this a lot. I’m just not certain it’s clear to everyone why this is important because so few people do it. If we would, however, we would understand, for the scriptures can have a transforming power over our lives. Furthermore, having a scriptural foundation can help us stay calm, focused, and right in a number of situations.

Let me try to explain how this works.

I can think about the things I want to do, and sometimes feel incapable. I can feel like I can’t do it. When I feel that way I only need to consider the words of Philippians 4:13 to feel confident again:

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”

These words make me confident again. If I didn’t know the scriptures that wouldn’t work. The scriptures can help out through many other types of situations.

Feel like you don’t know what you should do in life? Consider Matthew 6:33, which states “Put first the kingdom of God, and all these things will provided to you.”

Worried God won’t take care of you if you do the things He’s called you to do? Consider Jeremiah 29:11, which states “for I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

Feeling jealous when someone else gets special treatment and you don’t? Remember the story of the prodigal son, and how the older brother acted that same way, and only got to miss the party because he did.

These are just a few examples. There are so many ways scripture can help us in our daily lives. Common verses and obscure verses can do us much good, and God can speak to us through the words He gave us in His book.

If you want God to speak to you in your situation then let Him speak to you with the words already laid down for us. If you want to know what’s okay, what’s wrong, what’s great, how to act in certain situations, and how to focus on God turn to His word. Keep the scriptures in your heart, and they will transform your life. These words have power. Embrace the power. Read the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment